While it’s no doubt we’re seeing the prevalence of eCommerce businesses over the years, they add to the vast number of websites in the ocean of the web. Like every website, these online stores require traffic from the right audiences as a basis of livelihood.
Like how every storefront needs foot traffic, every eCommerce store needs web traffic.
A significant portion of this traffic will most likely come from Google and social media. However, these platforms prove to be highly competitive, as brands and businesses seek to be heard.
This is where content marketing shows promise. A growing segment of digital marketing in recent years, content marketing is capable of yielding results in a way other methods cannot measure up with.
So here are the reasons eCommerce sites should employ content marketing, even early on.
1. Its effectiveness is proven
In terms of lead generation, it offers better returns than traditional methods. According to findings from Demand Metric:
- Content marketing generates approximately 3 times as many leads than traditional marketing.
- Content marketing costs 62% less than traditional marketing.
- 82% of consumers have a more positive opinion about a company after reading custom content.
- 70% of consumers feel a closer connection as a result of content marketing.
- 60% of consumers enjoy reading related content from their brands.
- 70% of all people prefer to learn about a brand through articles than advertisements.
- 72% of customers believe they form a relationship with a brand as a result of custom content.
The simple fact is that users are more likely to respond to content than ads.
2. It is good for Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
Ranking well organically on Google Search has been highly sought-after, even today. SEO is an undismissable factor for most websites, especially brands and businesses.
A big factor for Google to determine the rank of a given page is content. It’s important that the signs indicate that this page/site is valuable to people.
- How many other pages are linking to this page?
- How much time do people spend on this page?
- How many of them click through to something on that page?
To achieve that, having quality content on your site will bring value to your target audience. Further reading on SEO and Content Marketing.
3. Content can tell stories about your products
This is another thing that traditional ads cannot do as effectively. Content can create desire/need for the products on your eCommerce.
This is an example scenario.
- User A stumbles upon an ad or a site that sells aromatherapy products.
- User A is at the product page, but does not desire to make the purchase.
- User B stumbles upon an article about the benefits of aromatherapy products.
- User B now has an informed desire to purchase, and clicks through to the product page.
If you sell products that many people do not already desire or see the benefit of, then some education may be required. This is where content marketing shines.
Depending on the nature of the products you carry, this does not mean you should stop all other forms of marketing you have already planned. Content marketing is a long-term investment that should run alongside your current marketing plan.
With the right amount of time and nurturing, you’ll reap the rewards.
This article is contributed to eCommerceMILO by Justin Wong, founder of Write Handed.